🚨 Highlight of the week
Cancelling meetings is great. But what’s the alternative?
We all read the news last week that Shopify cancelled all recurring meetings with more than two people. Approximately 10,000 meetings were deleted accordingly to Harley Finkelstein, Shopify President, adding that “we've asked everyone at Shopify to not add the meetings back for two weeks and to be highly critical of what meetings they do add back”.
Of course we agree with him. After all, since the beginning that our moto is “Less Meeting. More Doing”. But the buzz around the announcement felt short in one particular point: how is Shopify supporting their team in this transition? If people can’t book group meetings for two weeks, how can they get feedback on their work, align on decisions, and move forward towards the same goals?
We believe this is key. Without proper guidelines, these initiatives are bound to fail. In fact, they already did. Kevin Indig was a former Director of SEO at Shopify and he mentioned it’s not the first time the company makes this move. The problem? As Kevin said “A couple of weeks after, most meetings came back on the calendar (…) Working async takes an incredible amount of discipline and really good communication (…) it’s a long process that needs deliberate guidelines and clear agreements”.
So if you want to cut down on your meetings but don’t know how, here’s a 3-step framework we share with all claapers: Meetings: When to record, when to miss, when to replace
🍿 Great discussions
- What’s your remote work pro-tip? More than 100 answers to this tweet from Job van der Voort, CEO @ Remote.
- Chris Herd, Founder & CEO @ Firstbase, started a great conversation about what distributed work is and is not about. Join here.
- Gartner released their 9 future of work trends to watch in 2023.
🤓 Cool findings
- ChatGPT is here to stay and people are already building cool apps on top of it. Here are 10 examples.
- Tome is another AI tool that lets you create entire presentations and pitches just with prompts. Including AI created images.
- Future of work courses: there are a lot of resources out there to level up your skills. From GitLab’s TeamOps certification for managing remote teams, to Oyster’s online courses on distributed work. Even Harvard has one. It was never easier to transition to remote work.
💌 From the Community
- Figures shared 5 resources to help you evaluate, plan, budget and organize your compensation decisions.
- Foxintelligence is hosting the webinar “Embracing the Circular Economy Through the Marketplace Model”. Register here.
- Congratulations are in order for Sendinblue, as they were selected as one of 20 scaleups to watch in 2023 by Shifted. See the full report here.
That’s all! And remember…
We want to co-create this newsletter with you. So get in touch if you have cool things to share or would like to feature what you’re working on 😊
The Claap team